Essential Eligibility Criteria (EEC)
Adaptive Kayaking Requirements
OOHF paddling events are open to all individuals who acknowledge the ability to meet the following essential eligibility criteria.
1. Each participant must be 18 years older or accompanied by an adult
2. Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
3. Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
4. Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
5. Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
6. Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
7. Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
8. Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket*
9. Get in/out or on/off of a paddlecraft independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance*
10. Independently get out and from under a capsized paddlecraft*
11. Reenter or remount the paddlecraft following deep water capsize independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance*
12. Maintain a safe body position while attempting skills, activities and rescues, and have the ability to recognize and identify to others when such efforts would be unsafe given your personal situation*
* To participate in adaptive programs, participants must acknowledge only the first seven EEC listed above. Introductory adaptive training programs will involve teaching and practicing EEC #8-12.